- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Acupuncture may be defined as the stimulation of a specific point on the body with a specific method, resulting in a healing response. There are 361 specific points ('acupoints') in human beings and 173 acupoints in animals.
Modern research shows that acupoints are located in areas where there is a high density of free nerve endings, mast cells, small arterioles and lymphatic vessels. Acupoint stimulation releases neurotransmitters, serotonin and beta-endorphin. Therefore, acupuncture for pain relief is well supported by scientific studies. As more studies are conducted, the mechanism of this ancient therapy will be better understood.
Physiological effects induced by acupuncture
· Pain Relief
· Regulation of Gastrointestinal Motility
· Anti-inflammatory effect
· Hormone and reproductive regulation
· Anti-febrile effect; microcirculation promotion
When is acupuncture indicated?
Acupuncture can be effective in the following conditions:
· Musculoskeletal problems: muscle soreness, back pain, disc problems, osteoarthritis, degenerative joint disease.
· Neurological disorders: seizure laryngeal hemiplegia, facial and radial nerve paralysis
· Gastrointestinal disorders: diarrhea, gastric ulcers, vomiting, constipation
· Other chronic conditions: kidney disease, geriatric weakness, skin problems, asthma
· Performance enhancement and prevention of disease
Cautions and Contraindications
When acupuncture is performed, the following conditions are cautioned or contraindicated
· Open wound
· Infectious diseases
Why is Acupuncture frequently combined with herbs and massage?
The application of herbal medicine is chosen by the knowledgeable veterinarian as a support for acupuncture, or on occasion, in lieu of it. Herbs are frequently used in situations that have not responded to traditional veterinary medical practices. Massage and medical manipulation techniques can be taught to the owner to be done at home . This helps to ease muscle tension, thereby offering comfort and an energy lift to the patient.
What can we help you find?